“Discover the Past, Envision the Future”
To recognize the role of numismatics in discoveries and innovation, the American Numismatic Association (ANA) selected “Discover the Past, Envision the Future” as the theme for the 96th annual National Coin Week, April 21-27. The theme was provided by ANA member Dennis Tucker.
The Association will host a variety of National Coin Week activities online and at the Edward C. Rochette Money Museum in Colorado Springs, Colo. Events and educational content focuses on U.S. and world coins throughout history, commemorative medals, monetary unions, designs on euro notes and more.
ANA-sponsored activities for National Coin Week include:
- A contest for ANA members to use their creative talents to design a coin released in 2069.
- Online daily trivia challenges. Every day of National Coin Week, a new question will be released on the ANA’s Facebook and Twitter accounts and www.NationalCoinWeek.org. Participants submit their answers online for a chance to win prizes.
- The annual coin club trivia challenge, where ANA member clubs test their numismatic knowledge and compete for prizes.
- Online resources including articles from The Numismatist, promotional documents, links and suggestions from the ANA library.
- An open house at the Money Museum on Saturday, April 27, which will include free admission, activities for children and adults, and the minting of the 2019 National Coin Week medallette in the museum’s Mini-Mint.
“Money has long been used to commemorate discovery and invention,” said Andy Dickes, ANA collections manager and coordinator of National Coin Week. “Feats such as the printing press, vaccines, the automobile and reaching the summit of Mount Everest are featured in numismatics. The 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing this year is a great time to celebrate all these achievements.”
Prizes for the design contest and club trivia challenge include:
- Grand prize – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar
- Second prize – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Silver Dollar
- Third prize – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Clad Half Dollar
Other prizes will be awarded as well.
For additional information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, call 719-482-9814, or visit www.NationalCoinWeek.org.
The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered, nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging the study and collection of coins and related items. The ANA helps its 25,000 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of instructional and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications and conventions. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or visit www.money.org.