Entries are now being accepted for the 2018 American Numismatic Association’s (ANA) Young Numismatist Literary Awards competition. The awards program encourages young writers and promotes future numismatic authors and researchers. All submissions must be postmarked by May 14.
The contest is open to young writers in three age groups, all of whom will compete for cash awards and numismatic book vouchers. Article submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges, including Bill Fivaz, Q. David Bowers and Kenneth Bressett. Awards will be presented in Colorado Springs at the ANA’s 2018 Summer Seminar, June 16-28. Those who are unable to attend will receive their awards by mail.
Eligibility & Awards
To compete in the contest, participants must be ANA members. Submitted articles can focus on a numismatic topic of the competitor’s choice.
- Bill Fivaz Young Numismatist Literary Award (Ages: 8-12)
Article should display basic knowledge of a numismatic topic. Creativity and original conclusions are encouraged.
Suggested length: 450-900 words.
- Q. David Bowers Young Numismatist Literary Award (Ages: 13-17)
Article should display advanced knowledge of a numismatic topic. Logically presented facts and original conclusions are encouraged. A bibliographic list of sources is recommended, but not required.
uggested length: 900-1,800 words.
- Kenneth E. Bressett Young Numismatist Literary Award (Ages: 18-22)
Article should display in-depth knowledge of a numismatic topic. Logically presented facts and original conclusions are required, as is a bibliographic list of sources. Inclusion of charts, graphs, tables or other illustrations is encouraged.
Suggested length: 1,800-3,600 words
Whitman Publishing has collaborated with the ANA to offer prizes. The following will be awarded in each of the three age categories:
- First Place: Plaque and $500 cash prize, plus a $500 voucher to help build a personal library of numismatic books produced by Whitman Publishing.
- Second Place: Certificate, plus a $200 book voucher from Whitman Publishing.
- Third Place: Certificate, plus a $100 book voucher from Whitman Publishing.
Guideline for Submissions:
Completed entries can be emailed to email@example.com or sent to:
c/o Cynthia Wood-Davies
818 N. Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- Submissions must include the writer’s ANA member number, category of submission and contact information (email, phone and address).
- Files should be sent in Microsoft Word or PDF format only.
- File names should include the author and subject of the article.
The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered, nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging the study and collection of coins and related items. The ANA helps its 25,000 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of instructional and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications and conventions. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or visit www.money.org.